All poetry and photos by Squeaky Pelletier unless otherwise noted, thank you.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

my necklace


this is the beautiful necklace,
my children bought for me,
the reason it's so special,
is how it came to be.

dad was out of town,
and the oldest was away,
there wasn't anyone to drive,
so they could sneak away.

so Daniel told me Mom,
you must drive us to the mall,
but you can't stay there with us,
just wait until i call.

the three of them were grinning,
when they came out to the car,
there was a sparkle in Dan's eye,
bright as a shining star.

when I opened it, on mother's day,
i liked it right away,
they had chosen carefully,
their love it did convey.

they remembered, i like hearts,
and silver more than gold,
it meant that they had listened,
without being told.

i was touched, that they'd arranged it,
and made sure on their own,
that I was not forgotten,
even though dad wasn't home.

these things i do remember,
each time i put it on,
i smile and know they loved me,
though now they're grown and gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment